Thursday, March 12, 2015

Butterfly Bokeh

The Bokeh technique is certainly trendy right now, so I figured it was time I got on the Bokeh Bandwagon and taught it in my monthly techniques class.  Here is one of the cards we'll be making tonight...

Any-occasion card featuring the Butterfly Basics stamp set and using the Bokeh Background technique.
Now, there are a couple of ways to do this technique.  I showed a sample last week where I sponged the colour on for the background before adding my white stenciled circles.  On this one I used watercolour paper and watercoloured my background colours of Lost Lagoon and Blackberry Bliss.  Not sure which one I prefer...both are pretty!  I will say, thought, that if using watercolour, make sure your paper is completely dry before sponging on the circles...or the Whisper White ink will change colour (like my pale mauve circles??)  Unless that's the look you're going for, make sure things are completely dry ;)
On this project I created my Bokeh background and then stamped the fern and larger butterfly images from the Butterfly Basics stamp set in Basic Gray ink.  I also stamped the honeycomb image in silver metallic ink.  For the bottom layer I used Brushed Silver card stock that I embossed using the Delicate Designs TIEF. 



The sentiment is heat embossed in silver and die-cut using the Banners Framelits.  The Butterfly is die-cut from Whisper White card stock, using the Butterflies Thinlits and then sponged with Lost Lagoon and Blackberry Bliss inks.  I then lightly dabbed my silver metallic ink pad all over the butterfly to give it a sheen.  I used some silver satin ribbon and a single large rhinestone (retired) to embellish.  The entire card is built on a Lost Lagoon card base.
I may actually give this card to one of the secretaries from my school who is retiring on Friday after 30 years.  Somehow the idea of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly seems suitable for someone about to experience freedom from the working world!

1 comment:

  1. That card is incredible, so beautiful would love to make that one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...